Tuesday 19 April 2011

Matilda

A clearly targeted Facebook status is all it took to recruit my first model.  Matilda and I work at the same place and know each other since quite a while now.  We set up a date for a portrait session in the middle of March.  I learned later on that it wasn’t the first time she’d casually modeled for friends so it’s no surprise she was quite comfortable with the camera! ;)

Only days after acquiring a brand new Speedlight softbox, I dragged my stuff across town to her place and we started shooting.  I suppose I should have practiced a bit more before trying to achieve classical portrait lighting on location; watching online tutorials is good but it does not replace practice!  I must give myself some credit though; some shots came out quite nice.  
The pictures we took on our walkabout in the neibourghood were just better tough.  I’ll take some time to practice before next session but this first experience was very nice and extremely useful.  I also quite liked the format of the afternoon: “mini-studio” portraits at her home, walkabout the neighbourhood (with less equipment) then a beer at the pub.  Thanks Matilda!







No comments:

Post a Comment